2021-22 graduate programs for intl students
Hainan University is the national demonstration base for international students' study in China, a Chinese Language Education Base authorized by the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council, and an HSK test center. It offers graduate programs for international students including a four-year PhD program and three-year master's program. Students will be awarded graduation certificates and doctorates/master's degrees upon completing the amount of credits stipulated in their teaching plans within the prescribed period of schooling, as well as passing a defense of their thesis.
List of majors for PhD program
List of majors for master's program
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with valid foreign passports. Those who once held Chinese nationality and then were naturalized as a foreign national or whose parents are both Chinese nationals and have both settled abroad, or one of whose parents is a Chinese national and has settled abroad, and who has acquired foreign nationality at birth, shall have held a valid foreign passport or certificate of nationality for no less than four years and have the record of having lived in a foreign country for more than two of the most recent four years (as of April 30 of the entry academic year).
2. Applicants for master's programs must complete their undergraduate studies and obtain a bachelor's degree diploma or equivalent; Applicants for PhD programs must complete their graduate studies and obtain a master's degree diploma or equivalent.
3. Applicants should be between 18 and 45 years old, in good health, well-behaved and capable of living independently, fulfill all of China's entry-exit conditions, observe Chinese laws and university's regulations, and respect Chinese culture and customs.
4. Applicants for Chinese taught programs should be capable of studying courses in Chinese and have obtained HSK level 4 (or above) certificate before applying. Applicants from non-English speaking countries for English taught programs should be capable of studying courses in English and obtain an IELTS 6.0, or TOEFL 560, TOEFL iBT 78 certificate.
From March 1 to June 30, 2021
Semester starts from the beginning of September 2021, as specified in the Letter of Admission.
Applicants should register and complete the online application system, upload the required materials below and pay the application fee (which can be paid online) before the application deadline.
(1) Valid passport copy (the expiry date of the passport should be more than one year away);
(2) Notarized certificate of the Highest Academic Diploma in Chinese or English. Bachelor's degree certificate is required when applying for master's programs;
Master's degree certificate is required when applying for PhD programs.
If applicants have not yet graduated, they must provide an official Pre-Graduation Certificate showing their student status and stating expected graduation date. The original certificate should be provided after admission.
(3) Academic transcripts during the whole study period (written in Chinese or English). Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translation;
(4) Two recommendation letters by professors or associate professors;
(5) Proof of Chinese or English proficiency. A valid HSK certificate (Applicants for Chinese-taught programs), or a valid IELTS or TOEFL certificate (Applicants for English-taught programs);
(6) A Study Plan or Research Proposal written in Chinese or English (about 1,000 words for a master's program and 1,500 words for a PhD Program);
(7) Copies of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form;
(8) Certificate of Non-Criminal Record;
(9) Bank Statement - 50,000 yuan ($7,689) for one academic year;
(10) If the applicant is an international student in China, a valid visa or study type residence permit and an official study proof such as the "Certificate of End of Study" or "Transfer Certificate" issued by the aforementioned school/university must be submitted with the application. If the applicant is employed, an official employment proof must be submitted;
(11) If one or both parents of the applicants are Chinese citizens, or applicants who were originally Chinese citizens and obtained foreign nationalities afterwards, a certificate of living abroad and the entry and exit seal page of visiting China on the applicant's passport during the recent four years should be provided.
The applicant should affirm that all the information and documents provided are true and correct. Any conduct of falsification or fraud will result in the cancellation of your admission qualification.
Please scan the original or notarized application documents in color using a scanner. Images captured by mobile phone or camera are not acceptable.
Incomplete application documents will delay the process of your application.
If the applicant's visa or residence permit has expired or is about to expire, the application will not be accepted.
Hainan University will check the application and apply the Visa Application Form (JW202) for the qualified applicants. After approval of the application, the admission package enclosing the Letter of Admission and the original JW202 will be sent to successful applicants. Due to limited enrollments of scholarship, applicants who meet admission requirements but fail to obtain the scholarship can be preferentially admitted if the applicants agree to be admitted as self-funded graduate students.
Admitted students should bring their passport, Letter of Admission, Visa Application Form (JW202), and original Form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners to the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in their country to apply for a Student (X1) visa, and register at Hainan University within the registration period mentioned in the Letter of Admission with those documents. Applicants with a pre-graduation certificate must submit their bachelor's or master's diplomas to the International Admission and Cooperation Office on or before the registration day, otherwise the admission qualification will be revoked.
Fees and payment
1. Application fee: 400 yuan (Application fee should be paid when you submit your application materials; it is non-refundable.)
2. Tuition fee
Hainan University provides preferential tuition fee for the offspring of overseas Hainanese. This kind of international students pay the same tuition fee as Chinese students do.
3. Accommodation fee on campus
Single room (Building No 15): 3,200 yuan/person
Double room (Building No 16): 3,200 yuan/room
4. Textbook fee: subject to the actual price of the textbooks.
5. Insurance: 800 yuan/year; 560 yuan/semester.
All international students are required to purchase Comprehensive Insurance Plan of Foreign Students on the day of registration. Students who do not have valid medical insurance will not be allowed to register.
6. Health Check: around 500 yuan.
7. Cost of meals on campus: about 1,500 yuan/month (only for reference).
8. How to pay the application and tuition fee:
(1). By online payment;
(2). By card to the appointed faculty office (only cards with Unionpay);
(3). By transfer (only for transfer within China).
The bank account information is as follows:
Name: Hainan University
Account bank: The Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, Hainan Provincial Branch, Haida Sub-branch
Account Number: 2201029429200051678
Note: Please note your name and passport number on the receipt when transferring. After you fulfill the payment, please keep the receipt and show it to the cashier.
For graduate programs, Hainan University provides excellent students with Chinese Government Scholarship and Hainan Provincial Government Scholarship. Prospective students and scholars from all over the world are welcome to apply for scholarships to study at Hainan University. With regard to specific information about the Scholarship application, please check the Application Guide for those Scholarship Programs.
Address: International Admission and Cooperation Office, College of International Education, Hainan University, No 58 Renmin Avenue, Haikou, Hainan province
Contacts: Ms Xu, Ms Zhou