2021-22 undergraduate program for intl students
Hainan University is a national demonstration base for international students' study in China, a Chinese Language Education Base authorized by the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council, and an HSK test center. International undergraduates will undertake a four-year full-time academic program with courses taught in Chinese. They will be awarded graduation certificates and bachelor's degrees upon completing the amount of credits stipulated in their teaching plans within the prescribed schooling period, as well as passing a defense of their thesis.
List of majors
1. Applicants should be a non-Chinese citizen. Those who once held Chinese nationality and then were naturalized as a foreign national, or whose parents are both Chinese nationals and have both settled abroad, or those who have one parent who is a Chinese national and has settled abroad, and who has acquired foreign nationality at birth, shall hold a valid foreign passport or certificate of nationality for no less than four years and have a record of having lived in a foreign country for more than two of the past four years (as of April 30 of the academic year of entry).
2. Applicants for undergraduate programs must complete their high school studies and obtain a high school diploma or equivalent.
3. Applicants should be between 18 and 45 years old, in good health, well-behaved and capable of living independently, fulfill all the Chinese entry-exit conditions, observe Chinese laws and the university's regulations, and respect Chinese culture and customs.
4. Applicants should be capable of studying courses in Chinese and have obtained their HSK level 4 (or above) certificate when applying.
March 1 to June 30, 2021.
Semester starts from the beginning of September 2021, as specified in the Letter of Admission.
Applicants should register and complete the online application form, upload the required materials listed below, and pay the application fee (which can be paid online) before the application deadline.
(1) Valid passport copy (the expiry date of the passport should be more than one year);
(2) Notarized certificate of their high school diploma in Chinese or English. If applicants are high school students, they must provide an official Pre-Graduation Certificate showing their student status and stating their expected graduation date. Their original certificate should be provided after admission;
(3) Notarized copy of transcript of all their high school courses. The transcripts which are not in English or Chinese should be translated into English or Chinese and this must also be notarized;
(4) Two Recommendation Letters written in Chinese or English (at least one from a teacher in their high school);
(5) Proof of Chinese proficiency (a valid HSK certificate or other certificates)
(6) Copies of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form;
(7) Certificate of Non-Criminal Record;
(8) Bank Statement - 50,000 yuan ($7,689) for one academic year;
(9) If the applicant is an international student in China, a valid visa or study type residence permit and an official study proof such as a "Certificate of End of Study" or "Transfer Certificate" issued by the aforementioned school/university must be submitted with the application. If the applicant is employed, an official proof of employment must be submitted;
(10) If one or both parents of the applicant are Chinese citizens, or if the applicant was originally a Chinese citizen and obtained foreign nationality later, a certificate of living abroad and the entry and exit seal page of visiting China on the applicant's passport during the past four years should be provided.
The applicant should affirm that all the information and documents provided are true and correct. Any conduct of falsification or fraud will result in the cancellation of your admission qualification.
Please scan the original or notarized application documents in color using a scanner. Images captured by mobile phone or camera are not acceptable.
Incomplete application documents will delay the processing of your application.
If the applicant's visa or residence permit has expired or is about to expire, the application will not be accepted.
HNU will check the application and apply the Visa Application Form (JW202) for qualified applicants. After the approval of the application, an admission package including a Letter of Admission and the original JW202 will be sent to successful applicants. Due to limited scholarship enrollments, applicants who meet admission requirements but fail to obtain the scholarship can be preferentially admitted if the applicants agree to be admitted as self-funded undergraduate students.
Admitted students should take their passport, Letter of Admission, Visa Application Form (JW202), and original Form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners to the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in their country to apply for a Student (X1) visa, and register at HNU within the registration period mentioned in the Letter of Admission with those documents. Applicants with a high school pre-graduation certificate must submit their high school diplomas to the International Admission and Cooperation Office on or before registration day, otherwise the admission qualification will be revoked.
Fees and payment
1. Application fee: 400 yuan (application fee should be paid when you submit your application materials and it is non-refundable.)
2. Tuition fees for undergraduate program:
Humanities subjects: 18,400 yuan/academic year;
Science subjects: 20,700 yuan/academic year
HNU provides preferential tuition fees for the offspring of overseas Hainanese; these international students only pay the same tuition fees as Chinese students do.
3. Campus accommodation fees
Single room (Building No 15): 3,200 yuan/person
Double room (Building No 16): 3,200 yuan/room
4. Textbook fee: This is subject to the actual price of the textbooks.
5. Insurance: 800 yuan/year; 560 yuan/semester.
All international students are required to purchase a Comprehensive Insurance Plan of Foreign Students on the day of registration. Students who do not have valid medical insurance will not be allowed to register.
6. Health check: around 500 yuan.
7. Cost of meals on campus: About 1,500 yuan/month (for reference only).
8. How to pay the application and tuition fees:
(1). By online payment;
(2). By card to the appointed faculty office (only using Unionpay);
(3). By bank transfer (only for transfer within China).
The bank account information is as follows:
Name: Hainan University
Account bank: Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, Hainan Provincial Branch, Haida Sub-branch
Account number: 2201029429200051678
Note: Please note your name and passport number on the receipt when transferring. After you fulfill the payment, please keep the receipt and show it to the cashier.
For undergraduate programs, HNU provides excellent students with Chinese Government Scholarships and Hainan Provincial Government Scholarships. Prospective students from all over the world are welcome to apply for scholarships to study at the university. With regard to specific information about the scholarship application, please check the Application Guide for those Scholarship Programs.
Address: International Admission and Cooperation Office, School of International Education, Hainan University, No 58 Renmin Avenue, Haikou, Hainan province
Contacts: Ms Xu, Ms Zhou